- About cookies
- Cookies are small text files which are transferred by a website to your browser directory. They help the website identify your browser/device. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
- Cookies may be either “persistent” (or “tracking”) cookies, or “session” cookies.
- A persistent or tracking cookie will be stored by a web browser and will provide authentication and will remember your chosen language selection, theme selection, menu preferences, internal site bookmarks or favorites, etc. It will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date;
- A session cookie, on the other hand, is usually used, for example, to store information about user page activities, so users can easily pick up where they left offand also for a shopping cart. These will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
- Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that they store about you (e.g. about your browsing preferences and history, both on a specific site and browsing among several sites) may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
- We do not allow registration on or log in to the website, so we have no cookies for those purposes.
- We do not have an online shop so have no cookies related to shopping carts or purchases.
- We do not use tracking cookies like Google Analytics, (though these do not generally collect personal data that can be identifiable, but report group and trend data.)
If you want to understand our basis for deciding upon this policy, please see https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/ – the paragraph about Exemptions.
Managing cookies: Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies, but the methods vary from browser to browser. You can find up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies by clicking on the relevant link below:
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies (Internet Explorer);
- https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en (Chrome);
- https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411 (Safari);
- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences (Firefox);
- http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/ (Opera);